Wednesday 3 October 2012

Introduction to this Blog





Dear Friends,
This blog is entirely dedicated to Vasishtha Kavyakantha Ganapati Muni, the first and foremost disciple of Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi, a seer poet, philosopher, patriot, visionary who was born on 17th of November 1878 and left his body in 1936. This blog is maintained by me (Sampadananda Mishra, Director, Sri Aurobindo Foundation for Indian Culture, Sri Aurobindo Society, Pondicehrry). You can contact me at <sampadanandamishra@gmail.com> for further information.

It was in the year 2002 that I came in contact with Sri Natesan. Till then I knew Vasishtha Ganapati Muni only as the author of Umasashasram and the guru of Sri Kapali Sastri, who later came and settled in Pondicherry as a disciple of Sri Aurobindo. I had also heard about the Muni as an Ashtavadhani who could simultaneously attend to eight different questioners and reply to them through extempore poetry. But I had no idea about any other writings of the Muni. It was only when I came into close contact with Sri Natesan, who had preserved all the works of the Muni by copying them in his own note books,  that I learnt about the other writings of the Muni. I found that the Muni has written extensively in Sanskrit on a wide range of topics. And his style, diction, language and use of various poetic devices are unique. 

For Sri Natesan it was a dream or life's mission to see all these works in print. So he had started giving thought to publishing all the works in several volumes. It was during this period that my contact with him took place. We then sat together to decide the layout and format of the volumes. The work which he had started much before he met me now began to take shape. This is how editing and publishing the twelve volumes of the 'Collected Works of Vasishtha Kavyakantha Ganapati Muni' took place. I was fortunate to be a part of this Divine work and it was an enriching experience for me to work as the associate editor of the Collected Works of the Muni. Sri Natesan was so particular about the accuracy that he would go through and verify each and every letter that was put into the computer. We used to sit together to proof read the texts and most of the time I found that when I was reading the text on the screen he was sitting with his eyes closed instead of looking at his note book. If there was any mistake he would immediately point out from his memory. It always seemed to me that all that has been published in the eleven volumes of the Collected Works of the Muni was committed to memory by Sri Natesan. That was his uniqueness. 

I remember when we were trying hard to bring out the first volume, one day Sri Natesan told me why the work was getting delayed, and he expressed his wish to see at least one volume in print before leaving his body. When he told me this in the year 2003, he was ninety years old. I then spontaneously told him, "Please do not tell me that Sir, you have to live and you will surely live to see all the works of the Muni in print form. Without your presence the work will not move at all." In the year 2009, six years later, when a copy of the eleventh volume was put in his hand, he asked, "How much work is left to be done?" When he was told that that was the last volume of Muni's original writings, he expressed the desire that since everything was over he should leave his body. It thus happened, that a month or so after he said this, in March 2009, he left his body.
(Please ClickHere to read an inspiring note on Sri Natesan) When I think of Sri Natesan, I always feel happy and I also feel that I was fortunate to come in contact with him, a man who lived a complete life. 



This is how Kavyakantha Ganapati Muni Project came into existence and started working on editing the works of  Vasishtha Kavyakantha Ganapati Muni with Sri K. Natesan as the editor and me (Sampadananda Mishra) as the Associate editor. One by one we worked on it and brought out the entire work in twelve volumes. The entire research work and editing was done by the Kavyakantha Ganapati Muni Project, 8th cross, Tagore Nagar, Pondicherry and then the copyright was given to the Ramanasramam, Thiruvannamalai as the publisher. These volumes are available in book forms and one can get those from the book sales section of Sri Ramanasramam, Thiruvannamalai. The members of Kavyakantha Ganapati Muni Project are indebted to Sri Ramanasramam for all their help and support. 

The aim of this blog is to introduce the works of Vasishtha Ganapati Muni. In this blog I have given the links from which one can download the Collected works of Vasishtha Ganapati Muni, published in twelve volumes by the Ramanasramam, Thiruvannamalai.And again I am grateful to V.S. Ramanan, President of the Ramanasramam to give the permission to upload the Collected works of the Muni and share with others.

Time to time I will be posting many interesting information about Vasishtha Ganapati Muni's life and work. So please keep visiting the blog page.

I would appreciate if all those who are downloading the volumes can give me their contact details. This will help me networking people connected with Sanskrit and interested in the writings of the Muni. Also it will become easy for me to be in touch with them and inform about other activities conducted by us with regard to the life and works of the Muni.

Thanks
Sampadananda Mishra

5 comments:

Prasad said...

Adhyaapakaa Shri Shri Mishraji:
Pranams. This blog is amazing and I am sure Nayanaa would be blessing you from heaven.
-Sathya Prasad, Bama & Narayanan
(We were your students at the spoken Sanskrit course held at Pondicherry)

Anonymous said...

Dear Shri Mishraji

The world is indebted to Sri Natesan for all time to come. As a devotee of Bhagavan Ramana and Nayana, his Ananya bhakti has enabled the publication of all of Nayana's works through you. And therefore, to you too we are beholden.

As someone who has had the blessing of being associated with Sri Natesan for many years, I am indeed iverjoyed in seeing this blog of yours. My blog post on Sri Natesan can be seen at http://bit.ly/R1jIbt

Namo Ramana!

Unknown said...

Gurudev SRI misraji,
I AM 76 YEARS OLD, DISCIPLE OF BHAGAVAN RAMANA MAHARSI. I AM RETIRED BANK OFFICER, WITH B.A.,LL.B.,C.A.I.I.B.,. I AM DOING RESEARCH IN VEDIC ASTROLOGY SINCE LAST 40 YEARS. I PRESENTED PAPERS ON SOULS AND REBIRTHS,CURSES IN HINDU ASTROLOGY, ECLIPSES OF LAST 100 YEARS & ITS EFFECTS ON THE EARTH. ORIGIN OF VIMSOTTHARI SYSTEM, SECRETS IN RUDRAM, ETC.,SINCE LAST ONE YEAR I AM GIVING MULTIPLE READINGS OF BOOKS RELATED TO SRI KAVYAKANTA GANAPATHI MUNI. UNFORTUNATELY I DO NOT KNOW READING OF SANSKRIT LANGUAGE WHICH BECAME A BIG OBSTACLE TO ADVANCE ON HIS ALL WRITINGS. I WENT THROUGH 'UMAASAHASRAM' . I WANT TO GO THROUGH THE CONTENTS OF VOLUME .8. BUT I COULD NOT GET ENGLISH VERSION. CAN YOU HELP ME OR GUIDE IN THE SUBJECT...WHERE CAN I GET ENGLISH VERSION.
WITH PRANAMS,
MVRAO, 21ST DECEMBER 2015, USA (CAME FROM INDIA AND SETTLED WITH MY CHILDREN SINCE LAST 3 YEARS.
mocherlas@gmail.com.

shankar said...

Namaskaaram sir, I am Sankaran P N. Resident of Lawspet Pondicherry for the past 2 years. In various ways,Infinetely Gracious Infinite Mother, has Pulled me to Sri Aurobindo. And also in some way indicated me to join Sri Aurobindo Society and work, though I do not know what service or what work, in what way I can do(This Indication came On Jan 4th 2016, but still I am sitting on it doing nothing!!! May she forgive my Tamas). Sir,my name is Sankaran. I am a Sanskrit teacher working in a Private Institution. Yes, Many Years ago When I was intensely Studying Bhagavan Shri Ramana Maharshi, I read the book "Shri Vaasishtha Vaibhavam" and came to know about Shri Ganapathi Muni( I was immediately attracted to Him, because, basically, My Favourite God is Shri Ganesha). Sir, here, I give my phone Number, "9884457440". My Email ID is sankarannagarajan91@gmail.com. Sir, please, I beg you, to lead me in Serving, the Divine, through Sri Aurobindo Society, in whatever way you find it fit for me.Om Shrii Maathre NamaH.

shankar said...

Namaskaram sir, I am Sankaran, a Sanskrit Teacher, working in a private Institution.I am a resident of "LAWSPET" for the past 2 Years.My Contact number is 9884457440.My Email ID is sankarannagarajan91@gmail.com. In various ways,both inner and outer, Shrii Maathaa(Divine Mother) has pulled me to Sri Aurobindo. She Indicated me (precisely on Jan 4th 2016) to join Sri Aurobindo Society, and do service.Though I do not know what to do and How can I join?.I read about Shri Vasishtha Ganapathi Muni,in a book called "Vasishtha Vaibhavam" many Years ago, when was intensely studying about Bhagavan Shri Ramana Maharshi. One of the main attraction for me to Shri Ganapathi Muni is my favourite God too is "Shri Ganesha". Sir, I beg you to lead me in Joining and Serving,the Divine, thru Sri Aurobindo Society.Please Consider this post and Give me Guidance as early as Possible. "OM Shrii Maathre NamaH"